Scottish Arts Club Awards
The several years, the Scottish Arts Club has presented awards for the visual arts linked to exhibitions organised by leading Scottish art organisations, including those organised by the Royal Scottish Academy (RSA), the Society of Scottish Artists (SSA), the Royal Scottish Society for Painters in Watercolour (RSW) and Visual Arts Scotland (VAS). In each case, a selected exhibitor is awarded a short-term membership of the Club as well as the opportunity to hold a solo exhibition at the Club, within two years of the award. These prestigious awards offer winners access to the Club, all its activities, and to members shows as well as the important solo exhibition.
Since 2011 we have also presented awards for Scottish theatre. The Club also supports the Scottish Portrait Awards and the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition, which are managed by the Scottish Arts Club Charitable Trust. Read more about our awards below.
Recent Visual Arts Awards
- May 2014 Jennifer Macrae (SAC Exhibition Aug 2016)
- May 2015 David Evans
- May 2016 John Mooney (SAC Exhibition Aug 2018)
- May 2017 Kirkland Main (SAC Exhibition – to be agreed)
- Nov 2014 Heather Manson (SAC exhibition May 2016)
- Nov 2015 James Tweedie (SAC exhibition Oct 2017)
- Aug 2016 Robert Emslie Donald (SAC exhibition July 2018)
- Nov 2014 Catriona Mann (SAC exhibition Feb 2017)
- Nov 2015 Diana Hope (SAC exhibition Oct 2016)
- Jan 2017 Clare Arbuthnott (SAC exhibition Feb 2018)
- Dec 2014 Miriam Vickers (SAC exhibition June 2016)
- Dec 2015 Cecile Simonis (SAC exhibition April 2017 )
- Dec 2016 Katharine Aarrestad (SAC Exhibition Oct 2018)
- Jan 2015 Rosie Kimber (SAC exhibition Aug 2015)
- Jan 2016 Natalie Jane Adams (SAC exhibition Aug 2016)
- Jan 2017 Philamena Pretsell (SAC Exhibition Oct 2017)
Scottish Arts Club Theatre Awards
Each year since 2011, the Scottish Arts Club has awarded a prize for the best Scottish theatre production appearing at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The prize has become affectionately known as The Flying Artichoke after the unique bronze sculpture, created by Edinburgh artist Duncan Robertson, presented to the winners as part of the awards ceremony. Read more
The Scottish Portrait Awards
The Scottish Portrait Awards (SPAs) aim to showcase exceptional Scottish talent. The new annual competition aims to discover the best portraits by 60 fine artists and photographers born, living or studying in Scotland, that will feature in a month-long exhibition to be held at the Scottish Arts Club in central Edinburgh in November.
The overall winner of the SPA in Fine Art will receive £5000 while the winner of the Richard Coward SPA in Photography will get £2000. Other major prizes include a £3000 Portrait commission from the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland. Learn more at www.scottishportraitawards.org
The Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition
The Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition is open to writers worldwide, published and unpublished, aged over 18 years by 1 October 2017. Stories entered for the competition should be 1500 words or less and can be on any topic. The stories do not have to be associated with Scotland. A team of dedicated readers assists the selection process with Alexander McCall Smith making the final selection of the winner and the runners-up.
The Isobel Lodge Award for New Scottish Writing is offered in the memory of a stunningly imaginative writer and powerful story-teller who was a much loved member of the Scottish Arts Club. The prize of £500 is awarded annually to unpublished writers born, living or studying in Scotland who enter the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition.