Saturday 11 May at 12noon
Members: Free | Guests: £5.00
Dakers Fleming describes and illustrates the construction of the Bell Rock Lighthouse which was the first in the world to be built on a sea washed rock. He will cover the progress of the construction programme and the ‘professional rivalries’ of Robert Stevenson and John Rennie.
He will describe the continuous operation of the light from 1811 to the current day together with some of the tragedies that occurred on Bell Rock. His illustrations range from contemporary sources to his own current photographs and collages.
Dakers Fleming DA FRIAS (ret) was amongst the first group of architects in Scotland to use Computer Aided Design in the daily practice of Architecture some 37 years ago. The first drawing printed from the system was a sample drawing of the Wolf Rock Lighthouse which kindled his interest in lighthouses.
He has visited the Bell Rock on two occasions.
He remains interested in the application of Computer Technology for Architecture and Illustration.
He gives talks on several Architecture related subjects to a range of groups and societies.
He is a Volunteer Guide at Hill of Tarvit Mansionhouse and is the current Chair of the East Fife Members Centre of the National Trust of Scotland.
He is a Member of the Scottish Arts Club, as is his wife Patricia Coelho. They live and work in a former church designed by David Bryce and which they converted and restored to their home and studio.